It’s time to invest in your TikTok growth strategy.
With more than 1 billion monthly active users, incredible engagement levels, and a thriving creator community, TikTok has definitely taken the world by storm. Though the platform is still primarily associated with Gen Z and younger audiences, it has expanded in the last couple of years.
In fact, in the TikTok 2023 “What’s Next” report, the social media company shared that people of all ages and backgrounds are now investing heavily in TikTok.
Whether you’re trying to draw attention to your growing ecommerce brand or you just want to form deeper, more authentic connections with customers, TikTok is the place to be. Today, we will share some tips from Growth Collective TikTok experts you can use to enhance your TikTok growth strategy for the years ahead.
What is a TikTok Growth Strategy?
Before we dive into our top tips for TikTok growth, it’s worth establishing what a “growth strategy” actually is. More than just a marketing strategy, a growth strategy focuses on expanding your reach and improving your online presence.
Growth strategies revolve around experimentation and data-driven decision-making. They help you to generate new leads and opportunities for your company, drive traffic to your website, and increase brand awareness and recognition.
In simple terms, a growth strategy ensures you can get a good ROAS (return on ad spend) from your social media campaigns.
Since TikTok itself is experiencing a period of rapid and substantial growth, it makes sense to ensure you can capture the attention of the biggest audience possible as more companies move into the landscape.
So, where do you begin?
10 Tips for Your TikTok Growth Strategy
A successful TikTok growth strategy requires agility and focus. You’ll need to experiment and gather metrics from every marketing campaign to determine which strategies are best connecting with your target audience and paving the way for new opportunities.
Based on our own market research, as well as insights from TikTok and other social media analysts, here are some of the best ways to grow your TikTok presence in 2023.
1. Create a TikTok Content Strategy
One of the biggest mistakes TikTok creators make is failing to strategize about how they’re going to produce and share content. While a lot of success on TikTok revolves around your ability to adapt to new trends as they emerge, this doesn’t mean your full content strategy should be ad-hoc.
Developing a comprehensive content strategy will ensure you can create a consistent voice for your business on TikTok, giving you the authenticity and credibility customers crave. In fact, one study says consistency alone can lead to a 33% increase in revenue for brands.
So, how do you create a content strategy? Start by:
- Defining your brand voice: TikTok customers want to see authentic content from consistent brands. Establishing a brand voice that aligns with your company values and resonates with your intended audience will boost your chances of growth.
- Choose your content types: Experiment with a variety of different types of content on TikTok. You can check out everything from TikTok dance and lip-sync challenges to educational and behind-the-scenes videos and even duets with other creators.
- Build a content calendar: Decide when you’re going to post on TikTok and create a calendar. There are studies that suggest some of the best times to post on TikTok are early mornings, but it’s important to do your own research into customer behavior so you know when your audience is likely to be online.
Once you have your content strategy, get all of your employees aligned around the same goals, and remember to be agile. When new content options and trends emerge on TikTok, analyze how they fit with your brand voice and goals.
2. Optimize Your Videos for TikTok
If you want to grow rapidly on TikTok, then you need to become a master at video marketing. However, creating optimized content for TikTok is a little different from creating videos for other channels like YouTube.
First, you’ll need to ensure you’re shooting vertical videos that are ideal for phone screens. Secondly, you’ll need to keep your content short and sweet. Although there are some slightly longer videos on TikTok today, most people are looking for fast-paced, actionable content.
When producing your videos:
- Add unique elements: Filters, stickers, and captions are all excellent for boosting engagement with your content. Captions, in particular, can help you resonate with a wider range of customers and add context to your clips.
- Use trending sounds: Sounds are an essential part of the TikTok experience. They make it easier for customers to find your content and help you to take part in the latest channel trends. Use the “Sounds” button on TikTok to find trending options that match your brand.
- Add hooks: Make sure you’re using hooks to your advantage. You can use empathetic hooks to connect with customers emotionally or curiosity hooks like questions that draw customers in and get them thinking.
Above all else, make space for joy. 41% of TikTok users say they’re more likely to buy from a brand that lifts their spirits. With that in mind, try to make your videos fun and playful. Show your non-serious side from time to time.
3. Keep Up with the Trends
Trends are everything on TikTok. In fact, they’re how countless creators go from relative obscurity to viral status almost overnight. If you want your TikTok growth strategy to generate results, experimenting with the latest trends is a must.
There are a few different styles of trends you can try out on TikTok. Songs and audio clips are one example, but you can also take part in game-based and challenge trends. Hashtag trends, which usually revolve around dances, fitness challenges, and lip-syncing, are great too.
The question is, where do you find TikTok trends?
The easiest option is to check out what’s happening in your industry on the platform. Search for hashtags relevant to your company on TikTok and see what’s getting the most clicks and engagement. Check out what your competitors are doing, and follow influencers in your field.
Staying up to date with new trending features can be helpful too. For instance, duets, singing text-to-speech, and avatars were all popular in 2022.
4. Collaborate with Creators
Virtually every TikTok growth strategy involves at least some collaboration with creators and influencers. TikTok is, first and foremost, a community-focused platform. Some of the most popular creators on the platform make millions from their content, like Charlie D’Amelio.
Fortunately, you don’t necessarily need to spend a fortune on influencer marketing to stand out on TikTok. Even partnering with smaller creators can give your brand a much-needed boost. You can start searching for potential creators on the TikTok creator marketplace.
Remember, when you dive into this strategy:
- Identify the right influencers: Take your time to search for influencers whose audiences align with your target demographic. The best influencers will share similar values to your brand and should already have the trust of the customers you want to reach.
- Create authentic collaborations: Avoid using influencers for promotion only. Remember, TikTok customers are looking for authentic human content. Ask your influencer for insights into the types of content that might work best, such as challenges or reviews.
- Track and analyze results: Measure the performance of your collaborations to understand what’s working and what isn’t for your audience. Look at your views, likes, comments, and shares, as well as increases in followers and website traffic.
Remember, great influencer marketing on TikTok shouldn’t just boost your visibility, but help you create trust and credibility with your audience.
5. Engage Your Community
TikTok’s 2023 report outlined just how important communities are on the platform right now. Your community is crucial to helping you grow, not just with more followers and website traffic but with shares, collaborations, and user-generated content.
Engaging your community starts with knowing your specific niche. The niches on TikTok are very specific, so it’s important to really understand what drives your target audience. For instance, according to TikTok, eBay learned it had a strong community of “sneakerheads” on its platform.
To engage these followers, the company used voting stickers to ask the community to vote for their favorite sneakers in videos. More than 1.2 million users participated in the #SneakerShowdown event.
Once you’ve defined your niche, you can start connecting with them through:
- Questions and polls: Ask your customers questions to generate conversations and build hype around your products and services.
- Hashtags: Use branded hashtags and hashtag challenges to encourage participation in events and cultivate user-generated content.
- Specific content: Create content that answers your customer’s core questions. 71% of people who act on TikTok say they do it because the brand they engaged with showed them “exactly what they were looking for.”
6. Provide Actionable Entertainment
TikTok revolves heavily around entertainment and fun, but that doesn’t mean audiences don’t want guidance. 4 out of 5 customers say TikTok is extremely entertaining, but part of what makes the platform so engaging is its ability to inspire action.
With this in mind, when you’re working on your content strategy, look for ways to provide your customers with useful, actionable guidance. How-to videos, inspirational content showcasing outfits, and more are all excellent for generating quick results.
Creating your own branded challenges can be an excellent way to accelerate action on the platform too. TikTok users love an opportunity to get involved in dance trends and lip-syncing battles, so you could end up with a lot of fantastic user-generated content to share.
7. Make the Most of Data
Any successful social media growth strategy will always rely on access to plenty of data. The more information you can gather about your target audience, their behavior, and their preferences, the easier it is to create powerful content.
The good news is there are plenty of ways to collect insights from TikTok. The first and easiest option is to make sure you have a Business Account or “Pro” account on the platform. You can do this for free by going to the “Privacy” page in “Settings” on your TikTok profile.
Once you’ve upgraded, you can use your TikTok analytics to track things like which videos are getting the most views and where your viewers are coming from.
To make the most of your analytics:
- Define your metrics: Determine the core metrics you want to focus on in advance. Focus on metrics and KPIs that align with your goals for things like reach, brand awareness, and follower growth.
- Monitor each campaign: Pay close attention to the results of each campaign you post. Ask yourself how certain types of videos and strategies drive better results for your business. Don’t forget to track the metrics on your website, too, for traffic and sales.
- Use external tools: While TikTok’s analytics are great, you may need deeper insights from time to time. Consider using tools like Google Analytics, as well as other social media marketing tools, for behind-the-scenes reports.
8. Use TikTok SEO
SEO isn’t just for blog posts and website content. Every platform with its own search features has its own algorithms in place for determining how content is ranked and viewed. Optimizing your TikTok content for the algorithms used on the platform can significantly boost your reach.
Studies even show that certain demographics are now using TikTok as their preferred search engine. Gen Z looks for content and queries on TikTok before even turning to Google.
There are a few ways to search-optimize your TikTok videos. First, you’ll need to make sure you’re using the right keywords in your captions and content. Use the TikTok Discover page to find out what customers are looking for in your niche, or check out Google Trends. Next:
- Make the most of audio: Remember TikTok uses audio and sound clips to organize content, as well as hashtags and keywords. Make sure you’re taking advantage of the right audio in your video clips to boost your TikTok growth strategy.
- Write the right descriptions: Add context to your video with a brief description or caption. Make sure you include keywords and hashtags relevant to your audience here.
- Captions: Make your content more accessible by adding captions to the video with key statements and information. This will ensure you appeal to customers who might not be using the app with the sound turned on.
9. Use Hashtags Strategically
Just like every social media growth strategy requires some focus on SEO, every platform also has a place for hashtags. Hashtags are similar to keywords on TikTok, and they help the platform to organize and distribute content to the right viewers.
What’s more, when used correctly, hashtags can extend your reach to new potential customers, and boost your visibility, particularly when you invest in challenges and trends.
The easiest way to find trending hashtags for your campaigns is to view the discovery page on TikTok. Scroll through popular hashtags and videos to find out what’s working for similar brands in your niche. Influencers can be another great source of inspiration.
When using hashtags:
- Limit your number: Endless hashtags on TikTok can look spammy and deter your audience. Usually, it’s a good idea to use 4-6 relevant tags per video.
- Mix it up: Use a mixture of niche and trending hashtags to both expand your reach and ensure you’re connecting with the right community.
- Make your own: Creating branded hashtags is a great way to engage your audience and encourage user-generated content.
Check out @Duolingo’s TikTok page for excellent insights into hashtag usage:
10. Use Paid Ads
Finally, while a lot of your TikTok growth strategy might revolve around organic content, it’s helpful to have a plan for using paid ads too. TikTok for business offers users a variety of ways to get started with pay-per-click promotion.
You can create in-feed ads, brand takeover ads, top-view ads, and even branded hashtag challenges. Each type of ad serves its own unique purpose and helps to drive more attention toward your business and brand. Ads are particularly useful when you want to boost the visibility of a new product, an upcoming sale, or an offer.
When designing your ads, remember to:
- Set clear goals: Make sure you know what you’re trying to accomplish with your ads before you get started. Are you aiming for brand awareness, website traffic, or conversions? Knowing your goals will help you to choose the right ad format.
- Target your ads: TikTok, like most social media channels, offers a variety of targeting features, allowing you to reach specific demographics and users. Well-targeted ads will boost your chances of engagement and improve your ROI.
- Create engaging content: Make sure your ads will still resonate with TikTok’s creative and fun vibe. Keep your content lighthearted and engaging to capture user attention and convince customers to connect with your brand.
Don’t forget to monitor the performance of each of your ad campaigns with TikTok’s analytical tools. This will help you to tweak and optimize your campaigns over time.
Launch your TikTok Growth Strategy
Establishing an effective TikTok growth strategy is a must for today’s brands. As interest in the social media platform continues to grow, it’s offering companies endless opportunities to boost engagement, resonate with their audience, and strengthen results.
If you’re struggling to make the most of your TikTok marketing campaigns, you can always consider getting guidance from the experts. A TikTok marketing professional will help you to create more compelling content, find the right influencers to work with, and establish amazing campaigns.
How do I maximize my TikTok growth?
There’s no one-size-fits-all strategy for TikTok growth. Knowing and appealing to your niche community, optimizing your videos for TikTok, and jumping on the latest trends will all boost your chances of visibility. However, it’s worth experimenting with a wide range of different tactics.
Why is it so hard to grow on TikTok?
Generating growth on TikTok can be difficult because it’s so unlike any other social media platform. If you want to improve engagement and drive excellent results, you’ll need to create engaging, relatable, and authentic content on a consistent basis. Make sure you’re using TikTok SEO tactics and experimenting with new forms of content on a regular basis.
How many times a day should I post on TikTok to grow?
The right cadence for your TikTok marketing strategy will vary depending on a number of factors. Since TikTok videos are usually quite short and fast-paced, it’s usually a good idea to publish anywhere between 1 to 4 videos every day.